UK MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
KENTUCKY AT MISSOURI
MIZZOU ARENA | COLUMBIA, MO.
FEB. 3, 2018
Final Score: Missouri 69, #21/22 Kentucky 60
Team Records and Series Notes
- Kentucky ended a three-game win streak and is 17-6 overall, 6-4 in the Southeastern Conference. Missouri is 15-8 overall, 5-5 in league play.
- Kentucky leads the series 10-1, including 3-1 in Columbia.
- Next for the Wildcats: Kentucky plays host to Tennessee on Tuesday at 7 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN.
In the First Half
- Kentucky’s starting lineup featured Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Hamidou Diallo, PJ Washington, Kevin Knox and Nick Richards for the ninth time this season. UK is 6-3 with this lineup.
- Kentucky led 9-6 early but went cold from the field, missing 13 straight field-goal attempts as Missouri went on a 10-0 run for a 16-9 lead. The Tigers led the remainder of the game.
- UK closed within 20-18 before Missouri went on an 8-0 run and went to intermission with a 28-18 lead.
- The 18 points is UK’s fewest in a half in the Coach John Calipari era.
o It is the fewest for the Wildcats since scoring 16 vs. West Virginia on Nov. 29, 2008.
- UK shot 20 percent in the first half (6 of 30), UK’s worst shooting half of the season.
o It is UK’s lowest field-goal percentage in a half since 17.2 percent vs. South Carolina on March 1, 2014.
- UK is 6-4 this season when trailing or tied at halftime.
In the Second Half
- Kentucky scored on its first six possessions and closed within 33-32.
- Missouri responded with eight points in less than a minute to rebuild the cushion to 41-32.
- Missouri extended the lead to as many as 14 points at 52-38 and 54-40.
- Kentucky extended its streak of 1,036 consecutive games with a 3-pointer when Wenyen Gabriel connected from long range with 2:51 left in the game.
- Kentucky closed within five at 65-60 with 41.8 seconds remaining but got no closer.
- Kentucky’s 60 points is a season low.
o UK shot a season-low 31.3 percent from the field, including 10 percent from 3-point range.
- Kentucky outrebounded Missouri 40-36. The Wildcats are now 15-2 this season when outrebounding the opponent.
o UK claimed 20 offensive rebounds, one shy of the season high, but was only able to manufacture 11 points from the second chances.
- Missouri shot just 30.4 percent from 3-point range today, 7 of 23. UK entered the game fourth in the nation in 3-point defense at 28.8 percent.
o UK opponents also are attempting 3-pointers at a record rate. Opponents are averaging 25.6 long balls per game, well ahead of the record of 23.2 3-pointers attempted in the 2007-08 season.
- Shai Gilgeous-Alexander led the Wildcats with 15 points and six assists. It’s his eighth game with six or more assists this season.
- Jarred Vanderbilt totaled a career-high eight points and 10 rebounds in only 16 minutes of action.
- Vanderbilt has 42 rebounds in 72 minutes this season, an average of one carom per 1.7 minutes of action, an outstanding ratio.
Coach John Calipari
- Calipari has a 711-199 all-time on-court record.
- Calipari is now 266-59 at Kentucky.
- Calipari is 7-3 vs. Missouri in his career.