Share this:

Las Vegas, ESPN have no respect for Cats — both favor South Carolina to win

Kash Daniel (56) is not happy with the lack of respect UK gets. (Wade Upchurch Photo)

By LARRY VAUGHT

If you were worried how Kentucky might handle the prosperity of being 4-0 and ranked in the AP Top 25, quit worrying and say thank you to the Las Vegas oddsmakers and ESPN.

South Carolina, 2-1, opens as a 2-point favorite over host Kentucky for Saturday night’s game on ESPN. If that’s not enough, then add in that ESPN gives South Carolina a 53.7 percent chance of winning Saturday night while UK has a 46.3 percent chance.

South Carolina had a dominating 37-14 win at Vanderbilt two weeks after Vandy gave No. 8 Notre Dame a scare in South Bend. South Carolina’s only loss was to No. 2 Georgia. However, the Gamecocks have also lost four straight times to UK and Mark Stoops.

I would love to have been with Kentucky linebacker Kash Daniel Sunday when he found out UK was an underdog again after the rant he went on after the Mississippi State win over the way the ESPN College GameDay crew picked against UK.

Daniel said maybe veteran analyst Lee Corso, a former coach at Louisville and Indiana, may want to get a “new job” after his pick of Mississippi State to go along with his earlier pick of Florida over UK.

“His game pickin’ ain’t too good,” Daniel said.

But it wasn’t just Corso that caught Daniel’s wrath.

“The whole College GameDay crew might want to get a new job,” Daniel said. “At the end of the day we really don’t care. It’s on the back of everybody’s mind putting you down to lose. Lee, it was not an easy win tonight (for Mississippi State). It  was an easy win for us, though.”

It won’t be easy for UK to beat South Carolina, but thanks to Las Vegas and ESPN the Cats have another reason to have an edge this week — not that Benny Snell and crew seem to need any. But I would be willing to bet that Mark Stoops is one happy coach seeing his team got into the national rankings but yet is still considered an underdog at home against a team it has beat four straight years. He could not have drawn up a better scenario to make sure his team stays focused and sharp for a game the Cats know they can win.

 

 

 

6 comments

Skip to comment form

  1. This really gives UK a much better chance in winning this game I believe.

  2. Just go beat the tar out of the Gamecocks next Saturday night UK, and prove these experts wrong again. It don’t matter what they say or predict, the game is played on the field. I like UK’s chances. This is real good motivation that couldn’t have come at a better time. ESPN sure didn’t do Will Muschamp’s team any favors IMO. If Stoops plays this right, UK will come out ready to whup some tail.

  3. And if UK beats USC for the 5th time in a row they will be an underdog against unranked A&M too. UK is the Rodney Dangerfield of college football. They, “don’t get no respect”.

    1. And Stoops loves being able to play the no respect card

  4. vegas insiders has UK by 1 1/2 points. I think that line is too low, and I believe UK wins this one by 6 to 10 points.

  5. First time UK football has been 2-0 in SEC since 1977

    First time UK football has been 4-0 AND 2-0 in SEC since 1950

    This team is breathing rare air.

Leave a Reply