LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Kentucky Softball team placed four of its members on the National Fastpitch Coaches’ Association All-Region Team, it was announced by the organization on Thursday morning. Abbey Cheek was named first team, Jenny Schaper and Alex Martens were voted second team and Katie Reed was announced to the third team.
With being named to the All-Region Team, all four are in the pool for being named an All-American. Those announcements will be made by the NFCA as the Women’s College World Series approaches in June.
The four spots on the NFCA All-Region Team ties the 2014 team for the second-most in program history. The 2011 Kentucky team placed five members headlined by Rachel Riley and Megan Yocke both making the first team.
Abbey Cheek becomes the first Kentucky Wildcat to be named to the first team since Yocke and Riley back in 2011. They are the only three in program history to achieve this honor since the organization moved to three teams that year.
Kentucky opens the 2019 NCAA Lexington Regional on Friday at 2:30 p.m. ET against the Toledo Rockets at John Cropp Stadium. The game can be seen live on ESPN3 and the ESPN app. Tickets are available at UKathletics.com/tickets.
Abbey Cheek, First Team (3B)
- SEC Player of the Year
- USA Softball Top-10 Finalist for National Player of the Year
- First Team All-SEC
- SEC All-Defensive Team (3B)
- Single-season UK records in batting average, slugging, on-base percentage, walks, and one away from home runs.
- 2019 CATSPY Legacy Award winner
Jenny Schaper, Second Team (C)
- First Team All-SEC
- SEC All-Defensive Team (C)
- SEC Player of the Week (4/26/19)
- Had her first-career two-HR game, and career-high RBI game (5) vs. Miami (OH) on Tuesday, March 12 in the home opener
- Has 11 multi-RBI games, and 14 multi-hit games this season
Alex Martens, Second Team (2B)
- 15 multi-hit games, including seven of the last 19 games
- Game-winning hit to secure series win at #3 Alabama in the top of the 13th inning on Sunday in rubber match
- Had a career-high tying 5-RBI game vs. James Madison in St. Pete/Clearwater
- Led UK in hitting .556 on SEC Opening Weekend at #11 South Carolina with five hits, two runs, a triple, HR and six RBI
Katie Reed, Third Team (SS)
- 2018 and 2019 SEC Scholar Athlete of the Year
- Second Team All-SEC
- SEC All-Defensive Team (SS)
- Senior CLASS Award finalist
- 2019 CATSPY Awards Miss Wildcat, Legacy Award and Scholar Athlete